Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Using bash script to copy folder paths and file names with spaces

Recently I had to write a script that would copy a list of folders and files with spaces in the names to an alternate location.  I found that you do not need to escape the special characters in the list if you place quotes around the variable called from the list in a loop.

#!/bin/bash

while read -r line  # Needs the -r variable
do

        cp "$line" /tmp/files/.  # Place quotes around the variable called in the loop

done < '/tmp/list.txt'


I wanted to document this because of the 30 minutes I lost in my life trying to figure out the nuances around this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Test Authentication from Linux Console using python3 pexpect

Working with the IT420 lab, you will discover that we need to discover a vulnerable user account.  The following python3 script uses the pex...