Sunday, May 31, 2015

VMWare vmnet did not compile with Kali 3.18 upgrade

Today I was updating, upgrading and upgrading the distro.  After completing this task I ran into an issue reinstalling / recompilling the vmnet for VMWare.  After about 5 minutes of googling I found the solution and thought I would repost it below.

Site where I found the solution: http://askubuntu.com/questions/414783/unable-to-run-vmware-failed-to-build-vmnet

# - as root user
$ cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
$ tar -xvf vmnet.tar
# - edit the file vmnet-only/netif.c and replace the line that looks like
    dev = alloc_netdev(sizeof *netIf, deviceName, VNetNetIfSetup);
to
    dev = alloc_netdev(sizeof *netIf, deviceName, NET_NAME_UNKNOWN, VNetNetIfSetup);
$ tar -cvf vmnet.tar vmnet-only/
$ rm -rf vmnet-only/
This worked great, I did test the networking on a Windows 7 VM that I had and it seemed to work great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Test Authentication from Linux Console using python3 pexpect

Working with the IT420 lab, you will discover that we need to discover a vulnerable user account.  The following python3 script uses the pex...